(1) Don’t sign a long term contract to get an alarm system or home security monitoring service, the industry standard is 3 years. Other alarm monitoring contracts are 5 to 7 years in length. Central Security requires only 90 day notice to cancel.
(2) Don’t agree to a credit check or give Social Security number to get home security monitoring. This is often a sign that your information and monitoring service contract are going to be sold or traded off.
(3) Make sure alarm system company, sales rep and installer are licensed and have identification. The Texas Department of Public Safety issues identification cards to all licensed individuals and companies. These can be verified thru Texas DPS website.
(4) Make sure security monitoring central station monitoring center is a “Five Diamond Certificate” rated company. The Central Station Alarm Association post what monitoring centers operate under strict standards and at no charge issues certificates.
(5) Hardwire the alarm system into the home as much as possible with control board hidden.
(6) Make sure your home security burglar alarm system technician knows what he is doing and explains how to operate security system.
(7) Know how to manually test your monitoring system for communication with central station. Test your alarm system periodically to make sure everything works.
(8) Only use wireless equipment or devices as a last resort.
(9) Make sure all living in home of age are involved in process of getting monitoring service. Keep it simple.
(10) Check with local municipality to see if alarm permit is required. Central Security will give notice of proper permit if required upon activation. Austin Police requires alarm system permit.
Surrounding Police Departments that require alarm system permit.